Town Office


CONGRATULATIONS to newly elected Town Councilors: Samuel Kunz, Cheryl Robertson & Thomas Perry, and newly elected RSU No. 26 School Board Members: Mark Brewer & Brian McGill

Town Office Overview

The Town Office serves as the first line of contact for many Orono residents, business owners and University of Maine Students. Town staff not only provides customer service where all the functions of the Town Clerk, Tax Collector/Treasurer, and general assistance are available, they are also the public relations ambassadors for the town!

When someone first moves to town, opens a business or enrolls in the University of Maine, the Town Office works closely to provide a variety of information such as: a map of the city streets, the garbage pickup and recycling schedules, information about available rental units, guides to businesses, the procedure to register motor vehicles and how to change the name on the tax bill and sewer bill. Numerous phone calls are received every day asking for phone numbers of other town departments but also the post office or the Chamber of Commerce; lawyers and banks call requesting tax and sewer balances and at income tax time there are many requests for the prior year’s excise tax and property tax payments.  Each Assistant Clerk is certified as a Notary Public and the Town Clerk is a Dedimus Justice!
TO VIEW MANY OF THE SERVICES (Motor Vehicle Rapid Renewal, Boats, Dogs, and Permits) OFFERED ONLINE, PLEASE CLICK HERE!

Town Finances 

Some of the financial duties of the Town Office include receipting all payments made, including counting the cash received at the town pool during the summer, landfill permits, traffic tickets, library fees and other departments during the year.  Daily receipts are then deposited and reconciled. Payroll, Tax-Sewer bills and accounts payable invoices are generated and processed with all expenditures accounted for by department in accordance with generally accepted accounting procedures.  This office also assists in completion of the annual audit.

Bureau of Motor Vehicles - Dept. of IF&W Agent

The Town Clerk serves as the Bureau of Motor Vehicles and Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Agent by registering vehicles, issuing plates and collecting the sales tax owed to the state for newly purchased vehicles and recreational units. Did you know - Our office also offers transit plates for surrounding communities!  The office issues resident and non-resident fish and wildlife licenses, annually licenses dogs, records and issues copies of vital records, marriage licenses, business licenses, conducts elections and prepares council agendas, takes minutes and preserves meeting records and town ordinances. 

Public Meetings Information

The Town Office works closely with Town Departments to publically advertise and prepare materials which are broadcast on the local cable channel including announcements and important meetings.  Whether the information is financial or more general,Town Office personnel can either provide it or know who to contact for accurate and relevant answers.